Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

A Guy in a Skewed World: Better Living Through Modern Chemistry

One of the things that I've had to come to grips with while dealing with my FMS and other arthritis conditions (little of which actually shows up on x-rays. Go figure) is the experimentation that doctors go through.  Let's try this drug and see if it helps.  Take this drug for a couple weeks and then come see me.  Anybody with a chronic, long term condition is familiar with this cycle of ups, downs and completely freaked out reactions of your body.

Now, don't misunderstand me.  I appreciate the hard work that doctors do to try and help us reach a point where we can live a functional life or put us back together after we do something monumentally stupid.  My rant (because it's not really a complaint, because I can see and understand the logic behind it) is born out of an overloaded sense of frustration. 

It's frustrating to deal with the cycle of hope and disappointment that comes with each new treatment plan. 

It's frustrating to have something start working, and then having to quit because the side effects are more dibelatating than the condition being treated. 

It's frustrating to realize that there might not be a way to actually bring my health levels back to a point where I can remain a functional member of society. 

A recent visit to a new rheumatologist (and one that doesn't think it's all in my head) has me hoping again that we might be able to find something that'll work. New tests, x-rays, and a willingness to not assume that I'm making it all up for attention.  Those have sparked something that's been missing for awhile (despite my family’s best efforts).

Here's hoping that we can finally break this cycle of hope and despair and get something accomplished.

-- Sham

No comments:

Post a Comment