Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Not quite ready for the Wookie suit

The other night, She Who Must Be Adored (bka my wife of almost 17 years) and I were having a discussion on political views. She made the comment that a lot of my views were in line with what Penn Jillette promotes (an atheistic Libertarianism.

I got to thinking. Having done some research on the Libertarian Party in the past, I've found that I agree with much of their stated viewpoint on things. It can be simply boiled down to "Everybody's treated like an adult. I stay out of your business and you say out of mine.".

However, there are a few things that I disagree with them on. I believe that a minimal government is a necessary evil while they want no government. I believe that the fastest and longest lasting way to handle some issues is with violence and overwhelming force. The LP is so non-violent that you have to sign a vow to that affect when joining the party. My disagreement comes from the fact that evil exists in this world. Sometimes, it takes a use of force to stop that evil or to protect me and mine from the evil.

I decided (on a lark) to take the Libertarian Purity Test located here. I scored 89/160. According to the test's author, that puts me as a "medium-core Libertarian".

No need for a Wookiee suit yet (but, man would that be cool!)

--- Sham

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment