Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Why I do what I do

An article over on Wings of Iraq (a milblogger that's crazy enough to be a runner AND a Lawn Dart, erm Blackhawk driver) by a guest blogger (MajorMikeLyons) sparked something in my head.  The article was a "No, seriously, thank you for your service!" article fisking an editorial in Bloomberg (link shameless used from the WoI article).

  As a computer professional, I could get a job in any field and make a good living at it.  Why did I choose (and choose to remain in) a job with a Department of Defense contractor?  That gets a little deeper than "the pay's good" and "needed to support my wife and the family we'd started".  Sure, both of those factors played big roles in the decision, but there's something deeper in it. Something that comes from deeper inside.  I am a patriot.  I'm not a raving, flag waving, mouth-breathing fanatic (even though I've been known to do all of that from time to time).  I'm a firm believer that America is good, right and worth defending from all enemies, foreign and domestic.  It's part of why I get so bent out of shape over what the ... well, let's just say misguided Congresscritters are doing to our country.  Many rants will be coming out of those feelings.

This patriotism and belief in country is why I wanted to join the military while growing up.  As an Army brat, I got to see a lot of things, places and people that proved to me that America IS worth fighting for.  Because of this, I spent 4+ years in high school as part of the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp (JROTC) in preparation for ROTC in college and, ultimately, a commission as an officer in the United States Army.  Sadly, that was not to be.  As a freshman in college, I was participating in an orientation course for a program for selected freshmen at the university.  A 1 credit hour fluff course, but required for participation in the program.  It was so fluffy, the instructor let us choose between rollerblading along some bike paths in the next city over ... or a food and drink gab session in the classroom.  The class voted to do the rollerblading.  To make a long story short (I can hear the "too late!" from the back of the room, so hush!), I ended up injuring my knee when I stopped to repair a broken skate lace.  Trying to stop on roller blades and then hitting a patch of gravel is not pleasant.  The Orthopedic doc I saw told me that I was lucky that I'd already had 2 prior injuries to that knee and stretched my ACL.  If I hadn't, it would've torn.  As it was, it was close to it.  Nice birthday present to myself.  Oh, I didn't mention that this entire fiasco was on my birthday?  Ooops.  Although, the nice side of it ... seeing someone injured brings out the maternal side of many a college coed... :D

Now, this was all back in the early 90's, during Bush I and Clinton's series of Reduction in Force (RIF) draw downs.  Recruiting standards got particularly tough and the recruiters had to be very selective.  Because of the injury and the timing, I was informed by the Army that my services where not going to be required.  It was a rather hard blow.

After more work in college (still not finished ... note to self - get yourself back to work!), I went to work for a small-ish Defense contractor near my home town.  Since I couldn't directly serve, I was (and still am) bound and determined to give the guys and gals out on the pointy end of the stick the tools that they need to do their job.

There you go.  Since I can't do what I wanted to do, originally, I'm doing the next best thing.  I help those who serve by providing tools they need to make the job of standing in harms way, just a little bit easier.

For our men and women in uniform, I just want to say, "Thank you."  For all that you deal with on a daily basis, and still remain willing to charge towards the sounds of the guns, "Thank you" is really a small reward.  For me, "Thank you" is just my way of saying, "Thank you for doing what I wish I could, but never got the chance to do."  God Bless you all, and may He grant that you return home safely, if you are deployed.

-- Sham

1 comment: